The Indonesian government has increased the quarantine period for foreigners and Indonesian citizens traveling from abroad to 10 days because of the outbreak of the Omicron variant of the Coronavirus. This was revealed by Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan based on the direction of President Joko Widodo.
The government took this step, considering the increasing number of countries detecting Omicron variants. This quarantine extension will take effect on December 3.
“Obviously the policy taken will continue to be evaluated periodically while we continue to understand and explore information about this new variant,” said Coordinating Minister Luhut in his statement as seen on Thursday (2/12/2021).
The previous government’s decision was that the quarantine period outside 11 countries where cases of the Omicron variant were found was 7 days. However, now the decision has been changed so that the quarantine period outside the 11 countries where Omicron was found is 10 days.
Coordinating Minister Luhut added that so far the government has not prohibited Indonesian citizens from going abroad. However, the government has appealed to Indonesian citizens who plan to go abroad to refrain from doing so.
“For the general public, it is still an appeal. So Indonesian citizens are advised not to travel abroad first, this is to prevent and keep the pandemic under control,” he explained.
The government previously issued quarantine rules for Indonesian citizens returning from countries that reported cases of the Omicron variant of Corona. Arriving in Indonesia, the Indonesian citizen must undergo quarantine for 14 days.
“The Indonesian government anticipates an increase in cases because of the importation of COVID-19 cases and variants, with the first extending the duration of quarantine upon arrival to Indonesia to 14 days for Indonesian citizens who during the last 14 days transited or traveled from countries known to have transmission of cases of the new Omicron variant,” said Spokesperson for the COVID-19 Task Force Wiku Adisasmito via the Presidential Secretariat’s YouTube broadcast, Tuesday (30/11).
There countries include:
1. South Africa
3. Hong Kong
photo by: Juni Kriswanto/AFP